Do you know which foods your chickens should not eat? How about those they should?
I’ve had chickens for several years. By trial and error, I knew there were some common foods chickens should not eat but I didn’t know there were a few items that are dangerous to their health.
Foods chickens won’t eat or need to avoid:
- Avocados – the peeling, fruit and seed are poisonous to chickens.
- Chocolate – chocolate especially contains a toxin called methylxanthines theobromine and is poisonous to chickens.
- Onions – Onions contain a toxin substance called thiosulphate that destroys red blood cells. When excessive amounts are fed to chickens, it can cause jaundice or anemia in your hens or even death.
- Green Potato Skins – Raw green potato skins contain solanine, which is poisonous to chickens.
- Watermelon Rind or Orange Peel – they are too hard for them to eat.
Foods chickens will eat:
- Apples – too much will give them a belly ache
- Carrot peels – not the whole carrot because it’s too hard for them to eat.
- Cooked Rice
- Fish, Mice and Ham
- Bread – feed starches in moderation
- Brussel Sprouts
- Cheese – in moderation
- Grits (cooked)
- Various Flowers
- Watermelon flesh
- Cooked turnip
I’m sure there’s many more foods chickens will eat but these are some of the most common foods I’ve fed my birds. What is your chicken’s favorite treat around the homestead?